Epic Academy College Prep, a CPS Level 1 public, open enrollment charter high school, has served low-income African-American and Latino students in the South Chicago community since 2009.
The South Chicago community, one of Chicago’s poorest neighborhoods, has a 20% unemployment rate and a childhood poverty rate that is 86% higher than all other U.S. neighborhoods. Epic Academy serves one of the most challenged student demographics in Chicago: 96% free/reduced lunch, 25% of students with IEPs, 15% English Language Learners, with the average 9th grader entering on the 4th grade academic level.
Despite the obstacles our students face, we have a 100% college acceptance rate and 80% of our students enroll in college upon graduation.
Our mission to inspire and equip every student to build a path to college and career success.
We view the obstacles our students face as opportunities to build on their assets. We have three goals for every student:
- Be prepared for college.
- Develop college bound beliefs and behaviors.
- Graduate from college.
To achieve these goals we inspire students to imagine their future, provide belief-altering experiences that broaden their vision of what is possible, and build students’ academic skill sets to achieve attain their goals.
- Top 10% CPS HS in ACT growth - out-performing nearly all CPS selective enrollment schools
- Top 25% CPS HS in College Enrollment - out-performing the average college enrollment of other area schools by 26 percentage points
- 33% of Epic Seniors earn college credit before graduation
- $7M in college scholarships from the last graduating class